Total Pageviews

Friday, February 24, 2012

Safer Barrier

I called Danica Patrick crashing at Daytona but this wasn't her fault, and this isn't about her its about the track. She took a hard lick on an inside wall, a wall that had the safer barrier. Daytona is one of the safer tracks that Nascar runs but there are several tracks where that hit would have been on a concrete wall, and that would have been a serious injury. I don't want to get into what if this crash or that crash wasn't on a safer barrier. What we do know is that the SAFER barrier is just that its safer, since its implementation in 2002 all ovals placed the technology in the corners, some have out fitted the whole exterior in it but few have covered every wall with it. The stuff costs about a cool mil a mile to put in, but its worth it. I think NASCAR should mandate full coverage of inside and outside walls, as well as the walls in pit lane, is it necessarily? probably not, but why not? sell out the walls to more ad space if you need the money or make an ad "This death free race was brought to you by (company name) and the SAFER Barrier."

I know how I commented on drivers feeling too safe well this is why they shouldn't. And what about the road courses. The Glen put some in at turn 11 but I think the wicked turn 5 might still be exposed. What would I rather hit a pile of good years after running through a gravel pit or a nice SAFER barrier. It might not be affordable to surround the whole course inside and out at the glen, aside from it being longer I think road courses bring in less money but maybe nascar could help them out. Atleast make sure every turn has them. There is no argument from the driver because it doesn't affect the race at all until someone hits one then it takes like 5 min to replace to insert on that section and it is safe again.

And to my Danica Patrick fans, although she wasn;t running great she was doing okay and I'll give her that.

No comments:

Post a Comment