Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2012

The longest 500

Well folks this post comes a lot later then expected. I for one am happy with the delays everything worked out for me but I am not the average viewer. This weekend was an example of how dedicated NASCAR fans are. The grandstands were full for the Daytona 500, and that should come to no surprise the fact that that was after 30 hours after it was supposed to start and 2 rescheduling. So not only did people wait around four hours on Sunday till they rescheduled for noon Monday but then Monday morning it was announced that the race would start at 6 because of rain concerns. I for one had nothing better to do from Sunday at noon until midnight Monday. My poor non Nascar loving fans had to deal with my constant talking about it all weekend and then my concerns and frustration when previous commitments interfered with the race only to find out I didn't miss anything.

Then to top it all off one of the scariest accidents I've seen ever happened on lap 2, and that wasn't the worst of it. I want to give Jimmie Johnson his time because he 2 hard hits one with a wall then he got creamed driver-side by passing traffic. He looked shook up at the least, but seemed to be okay. Then with about 40 to go as time was wearing down before a meeting I had to go to the craziest accident happened under caution. No i've seen pace cars get hit, but this was different. If you got 8 min to watch crazy accidents check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oIZUFmsqYU. But Juan Pablo's car just broke at the worst time, and smacked into a track dryer, with 200 gallons of jet fuel on it. Luckily Montoya and the truck driver would be okay. I preach safety all the time. So why don't the safety drivers wear more gear? It looked to me like the guy was in jeans, when every nascar official has a fireproof suit and a helmet why wasn't he in anything? He should at the least be in a fireproof suit and have a helmet and NASCAR will most likely address this quickly, but he got out just a few seconds before the whole thing went up in flames. Does he need to wear a HANS device maybe not.

Any way I loved this race but wonder how many people called in sick on Monday only for the race to get postponed

No comments:

Post a Comment